The Porter's Garden
The Porter's Garden > Pictures

Jim Sykes opens 300th anniversary border on Sunday 4 May 2008


The border marks the 300th anniversary of the building of the Porter's Lodge in 1708 and celebrates the use of herbs in medicine.

Dr Ann Coats welcomes guests and Friends to the opening

Guests and Friends listen to the welcome speech

Surgeon Commodore Jim Sykes Royal Navy, Medical Officer in Charge, Institute of Naval Medicine, speaks about the use of herbs in medicine, naval medicine and the history of medicine in England

cuts the ribbon to open the border

then performs the first watering

Pictures: John Scott

top of page

The Friends of the Porter's Garden
Page last updated: 16 May 2008
Copyright © The Friends of the Porter's Garden 2005-2008

Web Space provided by Hampshire County